OGR/EPSG problem with California State Plane?

bdiscoe ben at v...
Fri May 3 03:53:50 EDT 2002

Hi Frank,

This "State Plant Feet" issue came up again this evening due to a
sudden urgent need to convert to Washington State Plane North NAD83
*Feet*.

I'm afraid that the previous discussion below leaves me wondering how
to specify this projection to OGRSpatialReference. The problem is
definitely the difference between Meters and Feet.

Should i set the projection, then force the units to feet, and
get/set the parameters to convert the false easting/northing from
meters to feet?? Is there any way to simply tell it to use feet?

Regarding "defined by law, California 3 zone 3 in NAD83 is meters"
Can you point me to this law? I searched the Web for hours in vain.
All the GIS data i have yet encountered in State Plane coordinates
has been Feet, and all the GIS data providers have acted as if Feet
is the correct and only units used.

It seems that the EPSG database makes the convenient simplification
of putting all values in meters, however this may not reflect the
actual standards and common use.

Thanks,
Ben