[Gdal-dev] CFITS support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Apr 7 10:23:37 EDT 2003

Jim Julian wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    Recently I attempted to convert an Arcinfo/Arcview binary grid file
> (GIO) to FITS
> using GDAL_TRANSLATE. The first time, the program crashed. I read the
> online
> documentation and downloaded the most recent version of the CFITS
> library and DLL.
> After having placed both in the same directory, I re-tried and the
> program crashed again.
> The GIO works well as I converted the same grid to PNG, PNM, and
> GTIFF(using Uint16).
> The command-line I used is:
>
> C:\temp\> gdal_translate -ot float32 -of fit carter1\hdr.adf test.fit

Jim,

I don't use FITS format. The driver was written by Simon Perkins.

However, I have tried converting a grid file into FITS format on my
Linux system and it seemed to complete just fine.

I would note that your commandline is actually converting to FIT format, not
FITS.  FIT is another format (originally from SGI I think).  I would suggest
you try change "-of FIT" to "-of FITS" and see if that helps.  If not, any
tracebacks or details on reproducing the problem might be valuable.