[Gdal-dev] Writing in USGS DEM Format ?

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Tue Aug 5 20:52:37 EDT 2003

Frank Warmerdam writes:

> mat wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Complete beginners questions here,
> >
> > Any plans to, or anyone working on the ability to write in USGS ASCII
> > DEM format ?
>
> Mat,
>
> It has not been my intention to implement writing USGS ASCII DEM format.
>
> > I,m trying to convert UK dem data in any of the formats available here:
> >
> > http://www.landmap.ac.uk/download/dem2_user_cood_selector.htm
>
> Lots of these are support for read and write by GDAL.
>
> > into USGS ASCII DEM that I can import (3 ARC SEC) into the terrain
> > modeller Terragear.
> >
> > http://www.terragear.org/docs/scenery-tutorial/fg-scenery-tutorial.html
>
> Skimming the terragear page, it seems that DTED is supported.  GDAL
> can write DTED, though it sometimes tricky since DTED products are
> only normally produced in 1 degrees chunks at particular resolutions.

Frank

If you can help steer Mat into how to get his data into 1 degree DTED chunks,
I can tweak some existing TerraGear code that converts gtopo30 data into
USGS ASCII DEM format for the DTED format and contribute that back
into GDAL.

I think gdalwarptest is what he wants to use but I don't have any experience with it

Cheers

Norman