[Gdal-dev] reading OCI datasource - core dumped

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Aug 26 09:13:18 EDT 2003

Oliver Wesp wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> what we like to do is connecting to oracle spatial with ogrinfo (in fact
> we like to read layers from oracle spatial with mapserver through ogr
> but we use ogrinfo to check if everything works fine on the ogr side).
>
> We have everything up and running on two different linux boxes (ogrinfo
> works fine, even the mapserver part is doing well. No problems at all).
> Unfortunately the production system has to be Solaris 8. Whenever we try
> to connect to oracle with ogrinfo from the solaris machine it says
>
> Segmentation fault (Core dumped).
>
> We made some experiments with wrong connections strings (wrong password,
> wrong tnsname, connect to a database that is shutown) and everytime we
> get a proper error message from oracle. This looks like something ist
> going wrong during or after the login process.
>
> There weren't any problems during compilation. The only difference
> beside the operating system is oracle client running on the linux boxes
> and a complete oracle server install on the solaris machine. We tried
> gdal-1.1.9 as well as the latest cvs.
>
> Is anybody out there aware of problems regarding oci support on a
> solaris system or a system with a comlete oracle server installed? Or is
> there anything we can do to get some more information on what's happening.

Oliver,

To the best of my knowledge the OGR OCI support has not been used on Solaris
by anyone yet.  The problem is likely related to a platform different.  Some
like issues:

  o Use of wrong size data type in a call that returns value through a pointer.
    Using int16 instead of int32 for instance would result in the returned
    value being all messed up on a big endian system like sun where as a
    little endian system like intel will mask this problem.
  o General endian problems.
  o Suns have alignment issues not found on intel.  Access a double not on a
    double word boundary will cause a fault for instance.

Since I do not have access to a sun with Oracle installed, there is a limited
amount I can do to look into this problem.   Either you will need to debug
this yourself (and send me tracebacks and any findings) or I will need
remote login access to your Solaris system.

Note, the OCI support isn't all that highly performance tuned for reading from
Oracle, but is quite well tuned for loading oracle (the actual purpose for
which it was implemented).