[Gdal-dev] arcinfo grid gotcha

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Wed Dec 10 01:08:50 EST 2003

Matt Wilkie writes:

> Stumbled across a "gotcha" this afternoon when using the Windows gdal
> utilities v1.1.8 (from openev_fw distribution) and ArcInfo binary grids
> (v1.1.9 info at end):
>
> * If you type a trailing slash, the internal AIG grid driver is used.
> * If you omit the slash, the external GIO driver is used.
> * Because the two drivers have different abilities, the output may not
> be what you expect. In particular the number format (byte, int32, etc)
> and projections are different (or absent).
> * It doesn't seem to matter which slash is used (\ or /).

< snip >

> With gdal 1.1.9 compiled under cygwin only the GIO driver is used, with
> or without a trailing slash. This is undesirable because the AIG driver
> is superior, at least with the data we use. (Presumably one could
> compile v119 without GIO). Is there a mechanism to force which driver is
> used to read the source data set?

Hi Matt

Try adding the ArcInfo bin directory to your path or copy
  avbase.dll
  avfeat.dll
  avgridio.dll
from the arcinfo bin directory into a directory on your path

This works for me with MingW,  there could be a 'path' issue
using Cygwin so make sure you reference directories by there
common name ie.  D:/dir1/dir2  instead of the Unix name

HTH

Norman