[Gdal-dev] arcinfo grid gotcha

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Dec 10 12:16:45 EST 2003

Norman Vine wrote:

 > Try adding the ArcInfo bin directory to your path or copy
 >   avbase.dll
 >   avfeat.dll
 >   avgridio.dll
 > from the arcinfo bin directory into a directory on your path

Thanks Norman but that is the opposite of what I want (thanks for
itemising exactly which dlls are needed; I can use that). AIG is
superior as it correctly reads and transfers the projection as well as
the numeric type while GIO does not.

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Users can set the GDAL_SKIP environment variable with a list of space
> seperated driver names that they wish to not be used.
> set GDAL_SKIP="GIO"

thanks Frank, I can work with that.  I note that this disables both read
and write with the specified drivers.  Not a problem for me currently as
  I don't need both at the same time very often.

Actually, now that I think about it some more, is there any reason to
use GIO for reading grids at all? Ideally AIG would be used for reading
AI binary grids and GIO for writing AI binary grids.

Suggestion: allow explicit commandline options to override environment
setting. For example:

	$ export GDAL_SKIP=GIO
	$ gdal_translate -of GIO inputimg.tif outputgrid

would work.

----
The link to http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/frmt_various.html#GIO from
http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/formats_list.html "ArcInfo Binary Grid
(GIO)" is broken. That target section does not exist. It does exist in
my local html file of the same name for v1.1.8 though.

cheers,

--
matt wilkie
Geographic Information,