[Gdal-dev] GDAL data model, caching, GDALProjDef

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Feb 16 14:20:29 EST 2003

Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> 1) Is there a way I'm overlooking to decollar collared maps (in GeoTIFF
> form) or is it expected that an external program would be used for this? I
> understand that the georeferencing is insufficient to know where the image
> corners are, but I have other data which can be used for this.

Derrick,

There is no convenient mechanism for decollaring stuff like DRG files.  If you
could define a polygon, then I suppose the OpenEV Python bindings for
rasterizing polygons could be used to mask out everything outside the polygon.

> 2) Is there a simple viewer wrapped around GDAL I can point someone at
> who wants to support GDAL in an existing viewer program? (Is what's in the
> "viewer" subdirectory the best option for this?)

The "viewer" directory contents are radically out of date, and unsupported.
At one time I was working on a Qt based viewer, but then OpenEV replaced that
as the reference GDAL based viewer.  Of course OpenEV is by no means a simple
example viewer for people to look at for incorporating GDAL into other apps.