[Gdal-dev] OGR C API - sample program

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Feb 19 15:49:46 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

For those who were not aware of it yet, OGR comes with a C API (this was
news to me a few weeks ago).  The C API is a set of C wrapper functions
on top of the C++ classes, allowing use of OGR from C programs or
potentially from other languages such as Delphi that would call exported
functions in the GDAL.DLL.  See ogr_api.h for the list of functions.

Unfortunately this API is still undocumented and to my knowledge there
was no sample code demonstrating its usage anywhere.  As a starting
point, I have committed to CVS the file gdal/ogr/ogr_capi_test.c that
shows how to use the OGR C API to read a OGR dataset, and to create a
new dataset with a few features in it.

Hopefully documentation for the OGR C API will follow in the not too
distant future. (If you can read between the lines, that means we're
pending approval of a project in which we would do this for one of our
clients. ;)

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca