[Gdal-dev] IntegerList datatype

nida Khan nida at webstar.co.uk
Tue Jan 7 08:18:13 EST 2003

Hi all.

I am developing a Mapserver/PostGIS application using NTF data from
Ordnance Survey, UK. We have run into a problem where the ogr converter
for NTF data does not correctly import into Postgres all the data from
the original NTF files.

The ogrinfo output for the file is :

# ogrinfo GREATER_LONDON_AUTHORITY.NTF
ERROR 4: NTF Driver doesn't support update.
Had to open data source read-only.
INFO: Open of `GREATER_LONDON_AUTHORITY.NTF'
using driver `UK .NTF' successful.
1: BL2000_LINK (Line String)
2: BL2000_POLY (None)
3: BL2000_COLLECTIONS (None)
4: FEATURE_CLASSES (None)

The command we use to extract the polygon layer is :
ogr2ogr -update PG:dbname=test GREATER_LONDON_AUTHORITY.NTF \
-lco "LAUNDER=YES" -nln bl2000_poly BL2000_POLY

When we do this we don't get any error, but we get an incorrect table
structure. Basically, it cannot create IntegerList fields, so it
converts those fields into VarChars. This means that our data looks like
this :

(3:150,340,2)
(4,33,545,434,34)
(10,232,354,23,343,...)

According to Frank Warmerdam, there is a flaw in ogr2ogr due to which
this occurs. As we urgently need this flaw to be addressed we would be
willing to make a financial contribution to prioritise the
implementation of this feature by the gdal developers. If anyone is able
to do so then please let me know.

Many thanks - and awaiting a positive response :)

Nida Khan