[Gdal-dev] Gdalinfo error

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 15 09:18:20 EDT 2003

Benjamin Wragg wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm currently using gadl1.1.8 and I've got a problem with a geotiff and
> running gdalinfo on the file. When I run "gdalinfo filename.tif" I get
> the following error repeated 5 times:
>
> ERROR 6: Unable to load PROJ.4 library (libproj.so), creation of
> OGRCoordinateTransformation failed.
>
> I found the following links on the web
> http://remotesensing.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2003-February/000238.html and
> http://lists.gis.umn.edu/pipermail/mapserver-users/2003-April/003420.html where
> people have similar errors. In the one from the gdal list Roni Zanolli
> responeded saying that the problem is with gcc3.2 and configure and
> suggested grabbing the nightly snapshot. Is this fixed in 1.1.9 or is
> there something else I need to do to fix this?

Benjamin,

The problem in question related to configure getting mixed up on systems
where /usr/local/include was already in the include path.  I believe this
quirk is addressed by the GDAL 1.1.9 configure.  However, you should also
confirm that you actually have PROJ.4 installed.  It is a separate package
from GDAL.  I would also note that it isn't required for most GDAL operations,
though without it you won't get lat/long bounds reported for gdal datasets, and
the gdal warping reprojection support would not be operational.