[Gdal-dev] nmake.opt

Simon Perkins s.perkins at lanl.gov
Fri Jul 18 00:57:14 EDT 2003

Hi Frank,

What's your advice on how to handle nmake.opt and CVS? Whenever anybody
compiles GDAL on windows they have to edit nmake.opt to configure the
build process properly. Trouble is, whenever I do a 'cvs commit', the
changes I've made to that file get copied to the CVS repository. Even
worse, when anyone else who has modified their nmake.opt to build on
windows does a subsequent 'cvs update', they will get a merge conflict.
Is there some way to minimize the pain?

Some possibilities:

- Avoid committing nmake.opt except when absolutely necessary. Conflicts
will still occur now and again though.

- Maintain a pristine make-template.opt in CVS, then have people copy
that file to nmake.opt (which would be removed from CVS control) as part
of the build preparation process (along with inserting the correct
config values into the new file).

Cheers,

Sy