[Gdal-dev] BMP to GeoTiff

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Mar 16 10:51:51 EST 2003

Ayman Kamal wrote:
> If I want to convert a "bmp" to a "GeoTiff" using
> GDAL, can the source "bmp" be a buffer in memory or
> does it have to be a bmp file on the disk?
>
> If it can be a buffer what function(s) neede?

Ayman,

The short answer is that there is no simply provided mechanism for
reading and writing file formats stored all in memory (except for the
memory format of course).  It is theoretically possible to hook the VSI
IO functions in such a way as to allow drivers that are entirely VSI
based to access in-memory file images if that is particularly critical.
VSI is the POSIX style IO API cover layer.

Note that some drivers do not go through VSI.  BMP does.