[Gdal-dev] GDAL, JasPer, JPEG2000 memory management plans?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 7 14:34:05 EDT 2003

>     Are there any enhancements that could be done to GDAL to reduce the
> amount of memory used?  I realize that wavelet compression (or at least
> the implementation in JasPer) may not lend itself to efficient memory
> use, and that GDAL's integration of JasPer is fairly new, but I thought
> I would get my request in early!

Brent,

The fact that JasPer as it currently exists always decompresses the entire
image in one pass is the reason that the JasPer driver is not very appropriate
for sizable jpeg2000 files.  If you can, use the JP2KAK driver which uses
the Kakadu library.   If you can't ... well ... don't use jpeg2000?

We have hopes that someday Andrey might be able to work with the JasPer
developer to refactor for windowed access, but I don't know how far away that
is.