R: [Gdal-dev] python support under cygwin?

Amici Alessandro alessandro_amici at telespazio.it
Thu May 15 09:59:54 EDT 2003

Frank,

> I have spent a couple of hours fiddling with the GDAL built on Cygwin.  I
> found I had to upgrade to the latest Cygwin (1.3.22) to get good
functioning
> out of the DLL building support in Cygwin.  I also had to hack around at
> the configure logic a bit for python support.  But now I am able to
configure
> GDAL out of the box on Cygwin and get a Python shared library
(libgdal.1.1.dll)
> and python support.

i'm always amazed by your _fast_ response times!

> I would encourage you to try rebuilding tomorrow from the nightly
snapshot,
> or pull the current version out of CVS.

i got the 030514 cvs build (still without cygwin work) and pulled:

GDALLmake.opt.in
configure
aclocal.m4
pymod/GNUmakefile

from the cvs-web (no outgoing cvs access here due to overzelous network
admins)

as the only imperfection i had to rename _gdalmodule.so to _gdalmodule.dll
(the correct fix is to use $(SO_EXT) as in Norman mail).

the rest seem to work ok with:
Numeric 23.0
proj 4.4.7 (release)
installed with standard procedures.

> Known and suspected issues:
>
>   o I was using the internal versions of libtiff, libpng, libjpeg and so
>     forth because I avoided installing the cygwin versions at all.  I
don't
>     know if the cygwin versions will work or not, but I see the cygwin
folks
>     have updated to libtiff 3.6.0 already so it might.

cygwin is not my preferred platform, i'm just checking that my code is kind
of
portable to something else than debian :). i plan to do just a few test run
of my apps, anyhow this is what i get on my system, i'll let you know if i
hit
any probelm with the cygwin libraries.

checking for deflateInit_ in -lz... yes
checking for G_gisinit_2 in -lgrass5... no
checking for ffopen in -lcfitsio... no
libcfitsio not found - FITS support disabled
checking for png_set_IHDR in -lpng... yes
checking for png.h... yes
using pre-installed libpng.
checking for TIFFGetTagListCount in -ltiff... yes
checking for _TIFFsetDoubleArray in -ltiff... yes
using pre-installed libtiff.
checking for GTIFGetDefn in -lgeotiff... no
using internal GeoTIFF code.
checking for jpeg_read_scanlines in -ljpeg... yes
checking for jpeglib.h... yes
using pre-installed libjpeg.
checking for DGifOpenFileName in -lgif... no
using internal gif code.

>   o I tried building and installing PROJ from CVS.  It works, but PROJ
didn't
>     produce shared libraries, and so the aspects of GDAL that utilize PROJ
>     aren't going to work ... well, perhaps static PROJ linking could be
>     utilized but that isn't trivial out of the box.

how to test whether proj support is working?

> I have things setup so I can use a clean Cygwin environment on my NT
partition
> now, so perhaps I will do a better job at maintaining Cygwin build support
in
> the future.
>
> I would also like to mention that I got most of the required changes from
> Norman Vine's cygMakefile in gdal/pymod.  If I listened a little closer to
> what Norman keeps telling me I am sure we would have had much better
cygwin
> support for some time.

wooops, i didn't notice it!

thanks a lot