[Gdal-dev] gml geometry information

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 14 16:59:07 EDT 2003

Roger James wrote:
> Frank,
>

> I have just noticed that the ogr gml driver reports geometry at the
> feature level but not at the layer level. Is this intended? Also the
> spatial ref is not being picked up. Sorry I have not had chance to look
> closely at these.

Roger,

Because the current OGR GML reader does not read the schema it doesn't have
an easy way of determining the geometry type of the layer as a whole, so
it leaves it undefined (any geometry).  Since we have to make a pass through
the file to start with this could be rectified.

Currently the GML driver has no understanding of coordinate systems in GML.
Furthermore, in GML 2 there is no meaningful standard on how coordinate
systems should be associated with features or layers.  Merely sometimes
followed conventions.