R: [Gdal-dev] Build GDAL on windows using minGW

Amici Alessandro alessandro_amici at telespazio.it
Mon Nov 10 13:57:17 EST 2003

Gagan,

Frank said:
> Others may be able to be more specific.  If you used cygwin you would just
> proceed with a normal unix style configure and build.  With MingW (not
> really a supported build option) you would likely be best off installing
> cygwin too, and using it to configure stuff (and for GNUmake), but
> modifying

last time i tried the standard configure build (unix) worked (mostly)
on minSYS as well.

but you need a recent cvs snapshot, not the 1.1.9 release.

> the GDALmake.opt liberally to ensure it uses mingw's gcc.  Also, you may
> need
> to make some changes in the port/cpl_config.h by hand.

again, last time i checked no change was needed in order to build gdal.

> I would suggest you get it working without Python before trying to tangle
> with Python build and link issues.

i agree expecially because i don't think you get python with minSYS!

Gagan, i can try to help you more if you are more specific on what you
tried and what was the problem.

cheers,
alessandro