[Gdal-dev] Re: Any plan to build direct interfaces to GEOS or to Shapelib

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 20 13:40:34 EST 2003

Hisaji Ono wrote:
> Hello.
>
>  I know I can use GEOS functions via PostgreSQL in GDAL.
>
>  However, I think there's some demands using GEOS for local files.
>
>  Do you have any plan of implementing direct interface to GEOS in GDAL or
> shapelib?

Hisaji,

It has been my intention to incorporate GEOS (optionally) into OGR so
that the various geometry operations can be done on OGRGeometry objects.
I am not sure when this would happen.  I don't have a pressing need just
now, but it might come up, in the context of more complete WFS spatial
filtering support in MapServer at some point.

I am not planning to incorporate it in Shapelib.  It is my preference to
keep Shapelib small and simple and focused on shape read/write.  I kind of
regret some of the other odds and ends that have accumulated there since
I don't have the time or inclination to support them properly.