[Gdal-dev] Irregular geolocation grid

Mathieu mathieu_gdal at yahoo.fr
Fri Apr 16 04:30:56 EDT 2004

Hello,

Frank, you say that the "polynomial transformation stuff" (I guess you are
talking about the functions defined in gdal_crs.c) will work well only up to
3rd order. Could you please develop a litlle this assertion?

- What is the relationship between the number of control points, and the
"optimal" order? (For example, I notice that using order 3 with only 5 GCPs
is not good. When should I begin to use order 3 instead of 1 or 2?)

- Is there, in practice, a maximum limit of number of control points, when
using 3rd order?

- In partice again, why not using order 4? In the case of geo-referencing a
chart (which is very specific, from the mathematician point of view), for
example, is it proved that order 4 should be banished?

Mat