[Gdal-dev] Nautical Charts

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 28 14:23:37 EDT 2004

Roger Bedell wrote:
> Maptech sells the charts I need for the Caribbean for $149.00 in BSB
> format. Two questions:
>

> 1)       Will GDAL read these?

Roger,

GDAL will read BSB files.  Note, that they are normally georeferenced
with ground control points rather than being "rectified".  This means you
might need to "gdalwarp" them before you can use them in some applications
that don't support import with GCPs.

> 2)       Anyone know of a free or cheaper source for these or similar
> nautical charts?

I thought NOAA used to offer some for free download, but I am not sure if
those were only samples or in some other way limited.  It would be nice to
find a free (or even just alternate) source to avoid dumping money into the
hands of Maptech.

Speaking of whom, it appears they decided not to follow up on their threats
of legal action against me last fall.  I haven't heard from them since.