[Gdal-dev] gdal and libgrass

Silke Reimer Silke.Reimer at intevation.de
Fri Aug 6 07:37:14 EDT 2004

Hallo!

As the debian maintainer of gdal I have been asked to add grass
support to the gdal library [1]. Since I didn't work with this
combination so far I investigated the situation in the archives and
gatherd the following:

1. gdal needs libgrass to connect directly to the grass raster format
2. libgrass is not yet included into the debian grass package (see [1])

Hence by now it will not be possible to include grass support to
the gdal package since not all requirements are fulfilled.

The solution could be to ask the grass maintainer to add libgrass to
his package but I am not sure whether this is useful at this stage.
As far as I understood grass support is very much better with grass
5.7 then with grass 5.0 so it seems that I should wait until grass
5.7 is in debian.

So I tend not to include grass support by now and wait until
libgrass and probably grass 5.7 are included into debian. Does this
make sense in your opinion or do you see any chance to get grass
support into the debian gdal package?

Many thanks,

	Silke

Silke Reimer