[Gdal-dev] python and gdal

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at pf.pl
Mon Aug 30 16:18:07 EDT 2004

Hello Everybody!

I have already posted this once but haven't got a good answer. Thus I'm
trying again, maybe now You will have some time to help an amateur.

I'm still having a problem with building Gdal from source (both 1.2.1 and
the CVS snapshot). The reason is my Python configuration.

My Linux is Mandrake 9.2.

I'm configuring this way:

CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/python2.3/Numeric -I/usr/include/mpatrol"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O2 -Wall" CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O2 -Wall"
./configure

And in the config.log I get:

(...)
configure:24160: checking for python
configure:24176: found /usr/bin/python
configure:24186: result: python
configure:24202: checking where python Makefiles are
configure:24217: result: found
configure:24221: checking Python makefile
configure:24228: result: missing, python disabled.
configure:24335: checking for NumPy include files
configure:24345: result: missing
(...)
PYTHON='no'
PYTHON_CC=''
PYTHON_CFLAGS=''
PYTHON_INCLUDES=''
PYTHON_LIBS=''
PYTHON_LINK=''
PYTHON_OPT=''
PYTHON_SO=''
(...)
pyexecdir='/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages'
pymoddir=''
pythondir='/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages'
(...)

Frank Warmerdam once wrote that I should have
/usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile. But I don't have it nor even the
/usr/lib/python2.3/config/ folder (but plenty of other floders in the
/usr/lib/python2.3). And I suppose I shouldn't have the Python Makefile
because I installed all my Python bits from precompiled RPMs (like most
users do?) and none of the Python-related RPMs known to me provide a
"Makefile".

If anybody could explain it to me I would be gratefull.

Maciek