[Gdal-dev] python and gdal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Aug 30 16:28:43 EDT 2004

Maciek Sieczka wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam once wrote that I should have
> /usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile. But I don't have it nor even the
> /usr/lib/python2.3/config/ folder (but plenty of other floders in the
> /usr/lib/python2.3). And I suppose I shouldn't have the Python Makefile
> because I installed all my Python bits from precompiled RPMs (like most
> users do?) and none of the Python-related RPMs known to me provide a
> "Makefile".
>
> If anybody could explain it to me I would be gratefull.

Maciek,

I have the /usr/lib/python2.2/config/Makefile on my redhat 8.0 system which
was installed from RPMs, so they do exist.  Do you have include files such
as /usr/include/python2.3/Python.h on your system?    If not, you are missing
some sort of development RPM you will need to build against Python.

If you can't get the configure stuff for Python to work because of the lack of
a Python makefile on your system, you can always just manually adjust the
GDALmake.opt file.  My python definitions look something like this:

PYTHON_INCLUDES = -I/usr/include/python2.2 -I/usr/include/python2.2
PYTHON_LIBS =
PYTHON_CFLAGS = -fPIC $(OPT) -DHAVE_NUMPY
PYTHON = python

and down lower:

INST_PYMOD      =       /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages

Hopefully you can use this, just switching to "python2.3".

Build problems are surely one of my greatest frustrations with GDAL.  While
I endevour to make it easy to build, the number of packages it needs to
interact with and the staggering variety of system configurations it is
used on inevitably leads to a variety of problems, many of which I am
esentially powerless to do anything about.  In other cases I could definately
do better in the package or answering questions but being as build problems
are so unfun, and hard to diagnose/fix I often give up before digging into
the problem too deep.