[Gdal-dev] NITF ICHIPB Extension?

William Lyons wlyons at prologic-inc.com
Fri Dec 10 12:13:07 EST 2004

Frank and list,

I have discovered that the NITF reader doesn't read image chipping
information from an NITF file (the ICHIPB TRE).  All it really does is
supply 4 tie points (usually the centers of the corner pixels but not
necessarily) from some original image to the data contained in the image
block.  Folks use the ICHIPB info so they can preserve sensor
information and RPCs.  Something I've run into using the
GDALRPCTransformer is:  When I get a pixel and line back from the RPC
calculation, it is in reference to the original image.  I have changed
my local source to read an ICHIPB and followed the same paradigm of the
RPC information by putting it in the nitfdataset's metadata for
extraction later.  Let me know if you'd like to add it to the baseline.

Given all this, my question is:  How would you go about translating
coordinates between the two image spaces?  GenImgProjTransformer?

Thanks,

William Lyons