[Gdal-dev] trivial (?) optimization for gdal.i:GDALReadRaster()

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 4 11:59:57 EST 2004

Alessandro Amici wrote:
> Frank,
>

>>i think i know where the remaining memmove-memset are sitting (see
>>pytmod/gdalnumeric.py:154), but i have no work-around for that.
>

> as far as i can understand there is no practical way to avoid the additional
> memmove inside fromstring() (unless gdal actually provides it's own Numeric
> extension module).
>
> things would be much beter with numarray because you can fill a buffer object
> with GDALReadRaster and build the python array object on top of it without
> the additional copy. do you see a port of gdal/pymod to numarray in the
> forseeable future?

Alessandro,

I have committed your changes to gdal.i and regenerated gdal_wrap.c.  I
am using SWIG 1.1p5.  I should upgrade but there are various reasons this
seems to be messy.  I would want to upgrade OpenEV and GDAL at the same time.

I have no particular plans to migrate from Numeric to numarray; however, to
the best of my  knowledge there isn't any reason these couldn't both be
supported is there?