R: [Gdal-dev] trivial (?) optimization for gdal.i:GDALReadRaster( )

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 5 09:10:07 EST 2004

Vincent Schut wrote:
> Frank, Alessandro,
>
> as a frequent user of python/gdal that more and more sees the upcoming goods
> of numarray compared to numeric, I would like to second numarray support for
> gdal in some way or the other.
>
> Alessandro, do I understand correctly that simply substituting Numeric with
> Numarray in the gdal pymod files just works? It would be a start,
> definitely... I'll give it a try!

Alessandro / Vincent,

I must say I haven't dug into numarray too much.  My main concern is backward
compatibility with existing applications built on the numpy interface and
whether or not numarray is fairly well settled.  Is numarray likely to (or
already is?) be distributed in standard python distributions?   Does the
gdal/pymod/numpydataset.cpp code need to be rewritten for numarray?

I am open to movement in this area and think that Alessandro's prototyping
is a good idea.