[Gdal-dev] missing libproj.so

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 11 15:47:16 EST 2004

Matt Wilkie wrote:
> Hello Listers,
>
> I'm attempting to run gdalwarp on a tiff image with GCPs which is not
> "north to top". I get the error message
>
>     ERROR 6: Unable to load PROJ.4 library (libproj.so), \
>     creation of
>     OGRCoordinateTransformation failed.
>
> I thought proj.4 is installed with gdal, is this not the case? "locate
> libproj.so" comes up empty (and the locatedb is current).
>
> I'm running gdal-cvs-040211 on cygwin-winxp; installed with "./configure
> && make && make install".

Matt,

By default GDAL is built to try and dynamically load libproj.so at runtime.
The good part of this is that you don't need to have libproj around to build
GDAL, but if you later install it - bam - GDAL's projection support starts
working too.

You can try building and installing PROJ now and see if things work, but
this stuff may be fragile on Cygwin.