[Gdal-dev] Radical OGR Update

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Feb 19 16:11:36 EST 2004

Alessandro Amici wrote:

>>Um... sounds like history is repeating itself.  ;)
>

> mm.. probably i follow the development of gdal since too litle time to
> understand your comment. do you care to elaborate? (just curious :)

In a previous life, Frank was the main architect of PCI's raster access
library called GDB (now Geogateway), and I worked a bit with them to
create a vector extension (TVS).  Then one day I received an email
strangely similar to this one from Frank proposing that we combine the
raster and vector stuff to facilitate dealing with some formats that
combine vectors+rasters. That's why I made the comment above.

At the time what was done was more a link at a higher level to have the
raster API call the vector API and vice-versa, which led to some
problems that I hope can be avoided this time by truly merging the
vector and raster drivers in GDAL/OGR and not just linking them.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca