[Gdal-dev] Radical OGR Update

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 19 17:54:00 EST 2004

Alessandro Amici wrote:
> mm.. probably i follow the development of gdal since too litle time to
> understand your comment. do you care to elaborate? (just curious :)

Alessandro,

About ten years I worked for PCI and Daniel worked for an allied company.
Another fellow (Ken Shih) and I lead a "vector overhaul" for PCI and
developed a new vector format.  However, a moderate ways into the project
I came to the conclusion that a standalone vector library paralleling the
GDB multi-format raster library made little sense.  So we ended up merging
the vector library back into the GDB library to have a unified vector/raster
library with one "open" function, and so on.

We can see the GDAL/OGR divergence and re-merging as following a similar
set of issues to the GDB/TVS libraries we worked with at PCI.  In fact,
Daniel and I have wondered whether keeping them seperate or merged made sense
for a number of years now.

At least, I assume that is what Daniel was referring to.