[Gdal-dev] SID to TIF

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Jun 8 09:32:59 EDT 2004

Dave -

The FAT32 filesystem has a file size limit of 4GB, and the popular Linux
filesystems (ext2, ext3, ReiserFS) have the same limitation for the
standard filesystem API (the Large File System interface in 2.4 kernels
requires apps written to the LFS API).  NTFS filesystems do not have a
4GB file limitation.

However, it's VERY common to see application software with 4GB file size
limits coded into it, but I would double-check with LizardTech before
concluding that the 4GB output file limit is due solely to Windows or is
a limitation of the MrSID software.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker