[Gdal-dev] goode homolosine projection

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 10 12:20:53 EST 2004

Manuel Massing wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Attached is a small patch to add OGR support for the goode homolosine
> projection.
>
> Unfortunately, proj.4 does only support the uninterrupted form of the goode
> projection,  so a reprojection won't work on global datasets in interrupted
> form.
> However, in a local context, you can adjust false easting and central
> meridian values for the different zones. For a listing of false easting and
> central meridian values used in the interrupted form, refer to Table 1 of
> http://edcdaac.usgs.gov/1KM/goodesarticle.asp.
>
> To reproject e.g. a MODIS dataset of North America
> (ftp://ftp.glcf.umiacs.umd.edu/modis/500m/North_America/Goodes.NA.2003321/),
> you could use the command-line:
>
> gdalwarp <input> -s_srs '+proj=goode +ellps=sphere +lon_0=100w
> +x_0=-11119487.43'  <output options>

Manuel,

Would you mind submitting the patch via bugzilla?  I generally hate to add new
projection forms to OGR (thereby setting a WKT representation in stone) till
I have also reviewed ESRI and other WKT sources to see if they already have
a format for that projection.  Handling it through bugzilla will give me the
time to review and look at other sources before doing anything.

I would add that the interrupted form is what I really want to (as far as
I understand it).