[Gdal-dev] GTOPO30 problem

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 6 10:32:20 EDT 2004

Clay, Bruce wrote:
> Frank:
>   Have you ever tried to open any of the GTOPO30 DEM files with GDAL?
> In particular the E20N90 file.  I am getting some very large negative
> numbers from this file.  Do I need to do anything in particular to
> handle ENDIAN issues or is it taken care of automatically.
>
> I retrieved the files from edcftp.cr.usgs.gov.

Bruce,

I have a dataset from a long time ago (W100N40) that has "BYTEORDER M"
at the beginning of the W100N40.HDR file.  This tells the ESRI .HDR driver
that the data is big endian.  I load this file and it seems to work fine.

However, it is possible I added this myself to correct for lacking info
in the file.  What does your .HDR file look like?

Can you point me directly to the file in question?