[Gdal-dev] Problems Linking with Stubs in the precompiled downloadable Win32 Binaries.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 10 17:31:09 EDT 2004

Fam. Pool wrote:
> I vainly tried removing the MSVCRT and LIBC default libs by adding
> /NODEFAULTLIB:LIBC and /NODEFAULTLIB:MSVCRT
> to LINKER_FLAGS in nmake.opt - but I guess you can imagine how many
> unresolved symbols I got then. Anyway, I'm using
> VC6 and I was wondering if that would cause any problems... I noticed your
> precompiled binaries specifically look for
> MSVCRT71.dll

Louis,

I will look into the asStyle issues though I can't promise when they will be
resolved.  The other problems you are encountering are due to linking object
files with conflicting build options together.  I gather you are linking
in a JasPer static library?  It is likely built with different options
that GDAL.  You will need to fiddle with stuff like the /MD flag in OPTFLAGS
in nmake.opt to match the options used for JasPer.

I would add that I have not every personally built with JasPer support on
windows.  I use the alternate Kakadu library for my public builds and
have only used JasPer on linux.

> I don't want to whine 'cause I really hate whiners, but I would really
> appreciate it if you could direct me to a site
> where I can download precompiled WIN32 Static Libs for GDAL and OGR. Or put
> one up if there aren't any - actually any help
> would be dearly appreciated!

Well, I don't normally like to distribute static libraries because they
introduce all sorts of extra C library and other dependencies, and make
linking more complex.  Folks run into problems just like you have, and they
can be very hard for me to resolve remotely.

If you need the style support you are faced with dealing with the static
build issues mostly on your own.