[Gdal-dev] GDAL 1.2.2 Released

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 16 16:54:35 EDT 2004

Folks,

I have cut a GDAL 1.2.2 release, and this is also my "coming out" with the
new gdal.org domain.

Currently gdal.org is hosted on a kind of crappy web server where I can't even
run scripts to update the web site.  This means that the web site is
updated manually (aka - not so frequently) and email, bugzilla, cvs and ftp
services containue to be hosted by others (DMSolutions via maptools.org
and ImageLinks and IDS for the remotesensing.org services).  But the www.gdal.org
web/download service has cheap bandwidth so I am a bit less of a drain on everyone
else.

I encourage you to grab release downloads from

   http://www.gdal.org/dl

though daily snapshots are still only available from:

   http://gdal.maptools/org/dl/daily

The NEWS file can be read at:

   http://www.gdal.org/NEWS.html

The following are new for 1.2.2:

GDAL 1.2.2 - Overview of Changes
--------------------------------

GRASS Driver:
     - Add Radim's version of the driver submitted by Radim.  This version
       uses GRASS 5.7 libraries directly instead of using libgrass.

DODS Driver:
     - Added support for spatial_ref, FlipX and FlipY .das info.

CPG Driver:
     - added new driver for Convair Polarmetric format.

HDF Driver:
     - Significant bugs fixed.

USGS DEM Driver:
     - Support writing UTM projected files.

PNG Driver:
     - Upgraded to libpng 1.2.6.

MrSID Driver:
     - Substantial performance improvements.
     - Support for DSDK 4.x
     - Support JPEG2000 files via MrSID SDK.

NITF Driver:
     - Support JPEG2000 compressed files (with Kakadu support)

ESRI BIL:
     - Support .clr color files.

VRT Driver:
     - Added support for describing raw files with VRTRawRasterBand.
     - Added support for virtual warped files with VRTWarpedRasterBand.

GeoTIFF Driver:
     - Fix support for 16bit image color tables.
     - Write ExtraSamples tag for files with more samples than expected
       in photometric interpretation.
     - External overviews now built for read-only files.

Erdas Imagine Driver:
     - Fixed support for compressed floating point layers.
     - Various other fixes for compatible with newer Imagine versions.
     - improved metadata handling.

gdal_merge.py:
     - sets projection on output file.

OGR 1.2.2 - Overview of Changes
-------------------------------

SQLite Driver:
     - New read/write driver implemented for SQLite databases.

CSV Driver:
     - New read/write driver implemented for comma seperated value files.

S-57 Driver:
     - Substantial performance improvements.

ODBC Driver:
     - Arbitrary length field values now supported.

GEOS:
     - Integration a series of methods utilizing GEOS when available.  Note
       that Intersect() is still just an envelope comparison.

OGRSpatialReference:
     - Fixed Swiss Oblique Mercator support.

A new OpenEV_FW 1.8.2 synced with GDAL 1.2.2 should following within a few
hours.