[Gdal-dev] Problem getting ECW SDK 3.1 working with gdal

Tom Lynch tflynch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 21:13:43 EDT 2005

Hi Thom,

The binary distribution of the ECW JPEG 2000 SDK includes only a few
of the headers in the whole project in an effort to minimise the
amount of code and interface exposed to SDK applications.

In general an SDK application should not need to #include
"NCSJP2File.h", although it might do so if it was built on the source
distribution and included some more sophisticated features, such as
customised metadata boxes etc. etc.  In this case it would be
appropriate to build the application against the SDK source
distribution.

I suspect this is what has happened with GDAL.  My suggestion would be
to see whether the parts of GDAL dependent on NCSJP2File.h are
necessary (I don't know myself, offhand).  If they're unnecessary then
you can comment or remove them before building, if they're vital to
what you want to do then you should probably be building against the
ECW JPEG 2000 SDK source distribution.

There are also some other gotchas in building applications against the
SDK.  For example, building with Visual Studio 6.0 SP6 can be a
problem as the SDK uses the Microsoft Processor Pack for MMX/SSE
support but the Processor Pack has incompatibilities with VS SP6.  The
vast majority of these can be avoided by using the latest Microsoft
Platform SDK to build.

On Apr 7, 2005 5:09 AM, Thom DeCarlo <t.r.decarlo at larc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> I've just downloaded the latest ECW J2000 SDK from the ermapper site. I've
> also updated to the latest gdal tarball. I'm using WinXP SP1 and VS.NET'03.
>
> First I tried to use the ECW SDK binaries. When the build got to the ecw
> directory I got an error saying there was a missing file:

snip

--
Tom Lynch
Development, ER Mapper