[Gdal-dev] raster format and indexation for not so static repository

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Fri Aug 5 14:38:50 EDT 2005

Marco -

I'm not sure just what is taking too much time to process - the
conversion to TIFF, or the classification and display in MapServer?
Compressed formats are probably not a good idea, since they are likely
to take more time to generate and more time to decode.  Compression
software is designed to save space rather than save time.

Your overall approach sounds fine.  If your conversion takes too long,
tell us what tools you are using for the conversion.  It is possible
that you simply have too much conversion to do for the equipment you
have, and you'll need more hardware to do it.  But it is also possible
that there are faster ways of doing the conversion.  But if you're going
to convert 100,000 files in less than 24 hours, you will need to convert
about 1 file per second, and that's pretty fast.  Each file should be
about 1.5 megabytes, so they're small files, but that's still a lot of
conversion.

     - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker