[Gdal-dev] Next Generation Language Binding News

Bill Binko bill at binko.net
Sat Aug 6 02:36:55 EDT 2005

> We need developers who have expertise in their pet language's C/C++
> API.  For C#, this is the PINVOKE mechanism.  For Python, it is the Python
> C API.  For Java, it is JNI.  And so on.  There is some typemap code for
> individual languages in MapScript that might be useful as a guide.  Without
> the typemaps, your language will be a second class citizen ... you'll have
> primitive bindings, but you won't be able to do everything you want.  This
> situation is still better than where you might have been before the ng
> development -- hand-rolling bindings entirely by yourself.

Howard,

I have agreed to test some of Kevin's upcoming PHP mapping, and he's sent
me a snapshot of it.  My mapping work (which is "side-work" for me) is
almost all in PHP, so I am looking forward to getting that working.

However, my day job is almost all Java.  While there are reasons that I
choose PHP for side-work, I have a lot of experience with JNI and writing
C wrappers.  (In fact, I've been doing that since I wrote this article
about wrapping Postgres95's interface with pre-JNI Java bindings in 1996
:)

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5535

I have no real use for the Java bindings, and I don't really want to
take on the work of integrating them.  However, I'd like to offer my help
to whoever takes up that gauntlet.

Bill