[Gdal-dev] MrSID on MapServer w/ FWTools 0.9.9

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 10:24:56 EDT 2005

On 8/16/05, Richard Greenwood <richard.greenwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, thanks Frank for the new FWTools!
>
> Second, sorry to bother this list with such a seemingly simple
> problem, but I am not able to get mapserver to display MrSID with the
> FWTools 0.9.9. Gdalinfo recognizes sid files, but thus far mapserver
> does not. I have set GDAL_DRIVER_PATH and also tried copying all the
> dll's into the mapserver directory.
>
> Third, I'm not trying to set up a production server, I just want to do
> a quick test of MrSID performance with mapserver. In the past I found
> it to be unacceptably slow when working with a large (423MB) sid file.
> If anyone has recent experience to the contrary I would be interested
> to hear it.

Rich,

I have clients who with various fixes through the spring and
summer have achieved respectible, if not exceptional speed
from large MrSID files.  The fixes were quite important.

There is still the issue that 3 passes are made over RGB files
instead of just 1.

I don't know why things aren't working with MapServer.  I would
assume it is something missing from the environment, a permissions
problem or a DLL not in the right place.