[Gdal-dev] RE: GDAL netcdf convention CF support

Denis Nadeau denis.nadeau at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:17:14 EDT 2005

I could write the metadata such as

GDALInfoBands = "times X isobaric (2 x 19 )"

Gdal order the bands in the following way:

band time isobaric
------ ----- ---------
1 1 1
2 1 2
... .... ....
19 1 19
20 2 1
21 2 2
... ... ...
38 2 19

> I would like to help wrap this into MapServer WCS if possible, if I am
> > missing something with my comments above please let me know. This is
> great
> > though, is has caused great excitement in our office!
>
> Are you interested in having GDAL write netCDF files so that
> MapServer can return netCDF files? As far as I know, there is no
> support for creation/writing in the generic netcdf module in GDAL but
> it seems like it might not be that hard to implement.
>
> <snip>
>
> Ideally having MapServer return netCDF would be a nice to have, but as we
> have discussed before about 3D BBOX + parameters (and this is an aim of OGC
> GALEON), there is little to differentiate between a geotiff and a netCDF
> file (or any banded file) when implemented this way (2D + bands for the
> z-level). If we could access netCDF through MapServer in an ND sense it
> would be different, I hope this is something we can work through in GALEON.
> It is still possible to make a very workable WCS with 2D + bands though, and
> I am interested in a way to keep the metadata within the file.
>
> However most of the work (for example when you have 40TB of data as our
> domain user does!) is in the conversion, so having gdal and hence MapServer
> read CF netCDF is a major plus (really good!), and makes using MapServer WCS
> even easier.
>
> This is great though, I am compiling up MapServer with this new GDAL as we
> speak!
>
> Hats off to Denis and Frank!

Thanks a lot for the Kuddo!! The driver should work for more than 4
dimensions, but I have not data to check it.
If you can provide me with 5D or 6D data, I could test the netcdf driver.
The number of bands grows a lot with 4D data, the RUC.nc test file provided
by GALEON has about 296 bands....

Denis
P.S. I will check in an new version of netcdfdataset.cpp, I found an error
in the program this morning.