[Gdal-dev] Idrisi32 and BMP

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 20:59:30 EDT 2005

On 8/19/05, Sergio Liminiana Bernat <pfcsergioliminiana at yahoo.es> wrote:
> Hello!!
>
> I'm very grateful of GDAl.
>

> I'm working with the library because I have to do files in XML to transport
> raster images (separating blue, red and green) or (black o no), I think that
> the
> easiliest files for transport to me is BMP files, but I don´t know if when I
> use gda_translation with differents formats to convert to BMP,
> the format of BMP is the same ( compressed method, bands,...) or depends of
> input file.

Sergio,

There are a few variations on the kinds of BMP files produced depending
on the input file.  From a quick scan of the code, it looks like 1 band
input files result in a pseudocolored BMP file (greyscale if there is no
provided colormap), and 3 bands files are treated as RGB.

There may be a few other variations I am not aware of.  You might want
to skim the user driver documentation.

> Why are not Idrisi32 translator  available , maybe for the lincence?

Mainly, because no one has contributed one, or paid for the implementation
of one.  I would like to see direct Idrisi support.