[Gdal-dev] Problems with ogr2ogr and TIGER line data - California is a bit off

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 12:25:43 EST 2005

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:21:12 -0600, Martin, Daniel A
<Daniel.A.Martin at erac.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I made a mistake in my previous email.  Where I said:
>
> However, when I view California in MapServer, California
> alone is in a different location than the same layer in
> MapServer where OGR is used to retrieve the data.
>
> The first mention of MapServer should read MapInfo, like so:
>
> However, when I view California in MapInfo, California
> alone is in a different location than the same layer in
> MapServer where OGR is used to retrieve the data.

Daniel,

Well, I would say the key is still to see if there is an
actual change in the road coordinates resulting from the
conversion to TAB from TIGER.  Hopefully you can
determine this by looking at the results of ogrinfo on
the first feature direct from TIGER and from TAB.

If they match, then what are the chances that MapInfo and
MapServer are shifting your background (image?) layer
different that you are plotting the vectors over?  Are they also
all in a NAD83 geographic coordinate system?