[Gdal-dev] what does gdal-grass provide?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Feb 3 12:53:21 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:43:11AM -0700, Jack Varga wrote:
> Markus,
>
> Thanks, it does help.  Question, does this mean QGIS can't be run
> outside of Grass shell and still load Grass vector and/or raster data,
> even if I compiled QGIS with the grass plugin?  I seem to be able to
> load Grass raster data this way, just not vector data.

Of course you can such GRASs-enabled QGIS also without GRASS.
You simply see a warning at startup "GRASS environment not found"
(can't remember the exact wording). Clicking OK takes you
into QGIS. Simply the GRASS plugin will be disabled in this case
(naturally).

Tricky workaround: Link the GRASS libs into /usr/local/lib/
then run ldconfig (both as root).

Then it should always work.

Markus