[Gdal-dev] Information on VTL filters.

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 16:38:46 EST 2005

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:18:56 -0600, Kevin Ruland <kruland at ku.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I just discovered in the pymod/samples gdalfilter.py which applies a
> kernel to an image file.  Can you help me track down documentation about
> what other little goodies are hiding the the vtl band xml?  For example,
> can I combine two images (pixel-by-pixel)?

Kevin,

There is a VRT tutorial at:

  http://www.gdal.org/gdal_vrttut.html

But i think you will find it igores some of the more complex options,
including the filtering stuff.

There is currently no VRT support for on the fly image arithmetic, and
I'm not sure how wise it would be to try and build alot of this sort of
stuff into the VRT driver.

Beyond the docs, you are best just digging around a bit in the VRT
directory to know more.  gdal/frmts/vrt.

The other major "special" mode is the VRT warping support where you
can have a virtual file that is warped "on the fly" from another source as
it is read.