[Gdal-dev] ECW JPEG 2000 SDK v3.1 - issues and clarification

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Feb 15 10:51:14 EST 2005

Steve Halasz wrote:

> The ECW SDK works very well and I'm grateful to ermapper for providing
> it under the public license. I had hoped to package it for the Debian
> GNU/Linux distribution where it would be useful with GDAL, QGIS and
> other GIS software. But there were a few restrictions in the license
> that do not meet the Debian Free Software Guidelines[1]. These are
> listed in a post to the Debian legal mailing list[2]. I would appreciate
> your consideration of these issues when reviewing the terms of the
> public license.

Kudos to ERMapper for making the SDK available under a public license.
Unfortunately the restriction that prevents the use of the SDK with
server software means that we (developers and users of the open source
UMN MapServer) cannot use it. I sincerely hope you would consider
removing this restriction, because as things stand now there is no way
that ECW can be used with MapServer and this affects a large part of the
open source GIS community.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca