[Gdal-dev] OGR GML output

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca
Wed Jan 26 21:52:55 EST 2005

Hi,

Using under GDAL 1.2.5, I converted a shapefile to a GML document, i.e.:

ogr2ogr -f GML out.gml hydroshedg.shp

...and have some comments / suggestions w.r.t. the output GML:

.xsd file generated:

- http://schemas.cubewerx.com/schemas/gml/2.1.2/feature.xsd is used as
the schemaLocation for the GML import.  Suggest changing to
http://schemas.opengeospatial.net/gml/2.1.2/feature.xsd

- the ogr namespace in the .xsd and the .gml document differ.  Should be
the same (suggest http://gdal.maptools.org/ogr/)

.gml file generated:

- the root element should add an attribute which points to the .xsd file
generated (i.e. xsi:schemaLocation="http://gdal.maptools.org/ogr/
./out.xsd"

- suggest a default namespace in the root element (i.e.
xmlns="http://gdal.maptools.org/ogr/"), thus negating the requirement to
prefix elements with "ogr".

I'd be willing to help out with this in terms of testing and XML /
Schema design.

Cheers

..Tom