[Gdal-dev] Building overviews in external .ovr file programatticall

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Jul 25 19:01:27 EDT 2005

Hi

Sorry my original message was not very clearly put. I have already
 implemented an overview builder in QGIS (since 0.6 release). Looking at the
 gdaladdo code, its not substantially different to what I have implemented.
 Some users filed bugs about QGIS not producing overviews for certain file
 types e.g. jpg. So I went back to the gdal docs (the gdaladdo docs instead
 of the api docs I previously used) to try to see what the supported file
 types were and then realised that it mentions the ability to e.g. build ovr
 files. On closer investigation however, I have discovered the real problem
 was that I was not handling errors correctly as I'd stubbed out bits of
 error handling code based on gdal api docs that didn't work. To resolve the
 problem I had a poke around in the gdal sources and discovered the following
 small errors in the api docs:

GDALDataset::BuildOverviews 'CPLE_NonSupported' should read
'CPLE_NotSupported'.

The same error is also in GDALRasterBand::BuildOverviews.

Also these same docs sections state that an error can be picked up using
CPLGetLastError(), but after a bit of snooping around in the source is looks
like its actually CPLGetLastErrorNo() that should be used.

That allowed me to implement a better error handler and will hopefully
 resolve my problem mostly.

Hope thats useful :-)

Regards

Tim

--
"The mind once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas never returns to
 its original dimensions."