[Gdal-dev] Will GDAL do other planets?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 23:28:42 EDT 2005

> I haven't researched this yet - maybe this is already supported, but
>   I can think of some reasons to have GDAL load,query,reproject
>   MARS or other planetary data.    Not so much data formats (although
>   that would be nice) but rather geospecific support (radius,
> eccentricity, etc).
>
> Has anyone ever tackled this idea?    Or would it be
>   too much upheaval to the product?
>
> I'm thinking ahead at using OpenSceneGraph and changes it
>   might require.
>

> ml
>
> Michael Logan
> QSS Group,Inc./NASA Ames Research Center
> Task Lead,                 Visual Cueing & Simulation
> Computer Scientist,  Adaptive Control Technologies
> MS 262-6,
> Moffett Field, CA, 94035
>   (650)-604-4494

is hard to do in the search engine.. bloody thing translates into French.
None the less, some links to mailing list threads follow which may be
informative. Maybe Paul remembers more?

http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2003-August/008536.html
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2002-November/007657.html
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/1994-August/021833.html

from that, someone had a "mars_iau2000" geoid working with PROJ.

MOLA data is pretty easy to import anyway:
  http://bambi.otago.ac.nz/hamish/olympus_mons.html

GRASS just uses GDAL+PROJ.4, so GDAL+PROJ.4 should be able to handle it..

Hopefully some leads there,

Hamish