[Gdal-dev] convert a group of points (lat, lon) to a shape file

Pericles S. Nacionales nacional at cbs.umn.edu
Wed Jun 22 16:53:58 EDT 2005

Greetings, Xiaodong!

I'm sure there are more than one way to do it but in the past this is
what I've done (this is the ESRI generate file format):

101
lon1,lat1
lon2, lat2
lonN,latN
END
102
lon1,lat1
lon2, lat2
lonN,latN
END
END

save it as a file and you can then find the gen2shp utility somewhere
(or the gen2shp extension for ArcView3) and convert it to a shapefile.
Or you can use Arc/Info "generate" to create a coverage.  The example
above will give you two polygons with IDs 101 and 102.  I haven't done
this in years so my memory might be a little hazy.

If ogr2ogr supports it, that would be even better!

I hope that helps.

-Perry