[Gdal-dev] Re: single ECW output from multiple input tiles

Ken Boss Ken.Boss at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon May 23 14:41:28 EDT 2005

Hello Frank--

I tried again to use gdal_translate to create a large ECW output from
input tiles described in a .vrt file, this time with a more appropriate
pagefile config.  But again it failed after ~30 hours at 80% completion
owing to a memory allocation error.  Here are the basics of my setup:

Win2k
single 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4 processor
1.5 GB RAM
2.5 GB pagefile space
~600 input tiles in .vrt
typical tile size 400 MB
output image 307060 x 464371 pixels x 3 bands (lots of offsite)

Do you think I am simply pushing the envelope too far?  Performance
(processing time) does not seem to be a problem (esp. considering that I
set up the same process to run using "a leading competitor's"
shrink-wrapped wavelet compression solution, and it was running on a
pace to complete after 12 days when I finally killed it), but obviously
these memory allocation errors present a bit of an obstacle.

--Ken