[Gdal-dev] Re: single ECW output from multiple input tiles

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Mon May 23 14:48:59 EDT 2005

On 5/23/05, Ken Boss <Ken.Boss at dnr.state.mn.us> wrote:
> Hello Frank--
>
> I tried again to use gdal_translate to create a large ECW output from
> input tiles described in a .vrt file, this time with a more appropriate
> pagefile config.  But again it failed after ~30 hours at 80% completion
> owing to a memory allocation error.  Here are the basics of my setup:

Ken,

I can't say that I have tried an encoding nearly as demanding as yours.
I will say that the ECW library tends to produce substantial temporary
files.  I am wondering if it might be running out of disk space for the
phase where the temporary files and the output file are in existance
at the same time.

If I was you, I would try creating a mosaic for the "top half" of this,
and make sure it completes successfully.   I'm afraid I don't know the
limits involved in producing such large images in ECW format.