[Gdal-dev] Re: single ECW output from multiple input tiles

Tom Lynch tflynch at gmail.com
Mon May 23 22:05:16 EDT 2005

Hi Ken,

Your input statistics work out to a ~0.4 TB total input dataset.
There's nothing intrinsic to the ECW compression libraries that
prevents a dataset of this size from being compressed.  For example,
ER Mapper 7.0, which is based on similar technology, is often used to
compress ECW mosaics from multi-TB input datasets on machines
comparable to yours.

We (ER Mapper) haven't tested gdal_translate with input datasets of
this size.  It's possible that there's some overhead introduced to
processing that prevents them from being successfully compressed for
the moment.  You could also be seeing a difficult to manifest bug in
GDAL, e.g. a minor resource leak that is not usually apparent.

--
Tom Lynch
Development, ER Mapper
Email:      tom.lynch at ermapper.com